Sebastian didn't really expect such a reaction from Trina at the entrance of his father - she knew, of course, that he was coming, didn't she? Or had he failed to mention that detail? His father nodded to her. "Um, thanks," he said, as she offered him her seat. He walked around and stood behind it, waiting for her to leave. His wish came true.
"Um, no, I don't want anything," said Seb, and his father shook his head, with a polite "no thanks." When Trina had gone, Dr. Ostergaard looked down at his son and frowned. "Who exactly is she, Sebastian?" he asked, one eyebrow raised. Seb fiddled with the sheets on his bed, not wanting to tell his father the embarrassing truth of Trina's rash actions, wanting her to look worthy and steady to his father, when he knew that steady she was most certainly not. But his father put so much stock in being steady.
"Oh, Trina. She's just a girl. I met her a while ago at the coffee shop, but I haven't seen her for about three months until tonight. Why?" He tried to sound innocent, but as he talked, he felt like he sounded like he was hiding something from his father, though there was nothing to hide, their relationship was completely innocent. But his tone just told his father that the two were going together, or something of the sort - which didn't bother Dr. Ostergaard, really. "What is she doing here?" asked the older man, out of sheer curiosity. "Uhhh, I was talking to her on the way home, you know, you said call a friend if I get tired, so I did. And then when I crashed, she didn't know what had happened, so she drove - I mean, after I woke up, I called her and she drove over to the hospital. See?"
His father twiddled his thumbs together and finally sat in the chair and ran his fingers through his hair. "I see, sorry, Seb, I didn't mean to interrogate you or anything. Well, I told the hospital that I would be back as soon as I had seen that you were fine and talked to the doctors. I'm sorry, son, I have to go. Tell the girl - Tina, or -" he stopped, and Seb filled in "Trina" for him. "Yes, Trina, tell her it was nice meeting her. And no making out in front of the nurses or officials, it's kind of embarrassing to them, I know for a fact. Well, I'll see you soon." And then he left. Seb didn't try to explain that no snogging would be happening any time soon, but left his father to think as his father thought. That was always the safe route with him.
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment