Thursday, November 1, 2007

and in the beginning...the ants were creepy.

“Well, welcome to Atlanta,” said the cheerful, round-cheeked flight attendant, as Sebastian got out of his seat. “I hope you have a nice day.” She grinned at him as he pulled his backpack off the luggage rack, flung it on his shoulders, and nodded to her.
“I hope you do to,” he said, courteously. Then he joined the stream of other passengers that were leaving the plane. There was something about being surrounded by hundreds of people he didn’t know that just set Seb on edge. On the outside he looked calm, as usual, but on the inside, he was jittery and jumpy.

As he came out of the little tunnel, through the lines and up the escalaters to get to the baggage station, he heard his cell phone begin to ring. He pulled it out of his pocket and looked at the screen. DAD it read. He silenced it, thinking that he would call when he was at the baggage claim, where it was a little quieter. He looked up overhead, noticing those giant black ants that were glued to the ceiling. There was something sick about that, he thought. But there was the baggage claim, so he walked over, the soles of his leather shoes squeaking on the tiled floor.
He called his father back when he reached the baggage claim.
“Hello?” answered his dad.
“Hey, sorry I didn’t answer, it was really loud. What’s up?”
“I just wondered if your plane came in and if you were on the road yet.”
“Yeah, I’m waiting for my luggage,” he said.
“Cool. Did you have a good flight? Did your grandfather give you a lot of trouble about airplanes?” His father laughed, and then said, “Listen, son, I’m sorry I couldn’t pick you up... But, you know, duty calls... Have a safe drive home, be real careful. Call a friend if you need to stay awake. I gotta go, be careful!”
“I will. Bye, Dad.”
The phone flipped shut, and Seb sat down on the carpetted area, and leaned against a trash can.
La la la.
What to do.
He flipped open his phone again, and looked through the list of people. Andy, Aunt Heidi, Dad, Denny, Frank, Kaspar, Paul, Summer, Trina, Trent....
Wait, Trina! Now he could call her, now that his phone worked again, oh sweet. Hopefully she would remember who the heck he was. He hit her name and chose to text her, in case she didn’t remember.

Hey, Trina, this is Sebastian. Remember, you painted my room with me? Lol

He pushed send, watched the yellow envelopes rotate on the screen, then sat back and waited for a reply and his suitcase.

No comments: